This recipe will generously feed two people, yielding enough ‘FABLE XO’ for you to reserve half for another occasion. If cooking for 4-5 people, just double up on the noodles.
250g Fable, shredded and chopped/minced
300g shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 tsp chilli flakes, though adjust according to desired spice level!
130ml rice bran oil (or other high smoking point oil like canola or peanut oil)
3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1½ tsp brown sugar
3 tbsp cognac or brandy
2 tsp of rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1½ tsp Chinese five spice
½ tsp salt
200g noodles, wheat noodles – thin or flat, whatever makes you happy
Asian greens such as bok choi
Coriander and spring onion, finely for garnish
- Blitz the shallots in a food processor and set aside.
- Shred the Fable with your hands and then chop to get a mince-like texture.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. When hot, add the shallots and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shallots are caramelised and light brown.
- Add the minced garlic, chilli flakes and Fable and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the soy, sugar, cognac, spice, salt, vinegar and sesame oil and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if you need. Transfer the Fable XO mixture into a bowl, reserving about a quarter in the pan.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, rinse in cold water, then transfer to the saucepan with the Fable XO and mix through. Portion the noodles into bowls and top with more XO Fable. Garnish with coriander and spring onion and drizzle with a bit of a chilli oil, if you like it extra spicey! Serve with lightly steamed Asian greens, like bok choi or pak choi.
Remaining Fable XO can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
Join our newsletter and be the first to know when we announce retail-partners, new product launches and be first on the list, when we host fancy pants parties.