Fable XO Noodle
Luxurious traditional cantonese with a twist
They’re just two little letters, often denoting a hug and a kiss at the end of a birthday card, but XO is actually named after XO cognac – where those letters stand for “extra old”. No matter the origin, it’s delicious and has become a cult favourite condiment on restaurant menus and woks around the world.
With the history lesson over, we wanted to share that we’ve been working hard in the Fable kitchen trialing new recipes and taste-testing (lots of taste-testing) to bring you next level dishes to create with your Fable.
Cook time: 30 mins
Serves: 2 People
This recipe will generously feed two people, yielding enough ‘FABLE XO’ for you to reserve half for another occasion. If cooking for 4-5 people, just double up on the noodles.
- 250g Fable, shredded and chopped/minced
- 300g shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp chilli flakes, though adjust according to desired spice level
- 130ml rice bran oil (or other high smoking point oil like canola or peanut oil)
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1½ tsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cognac or brandy
- 2 tsp of rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1½ tsp Chinese five spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 200g noodles, wheat noodles – thin or flat, whatever makes you happy
- Asian greens such as bok choi
- Coriander and spring onion, finely for garnish
- Chilli oil
- Blitz the shallots in a food processor and set aside.
- Shred the Fable with your hands and then chop to get a mince-like texture.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. When hot, add the shallots and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shallots are caramelised and light brown.
- Add the minced garlic, chilli flakes and Fable and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the soy, sugar, cognac, spice, salt, vinegar and sesame oil and cook for a few more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if you need. Transfer the Fable XO mixture into a bowl, reserving about a quarter in the pan.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, rinse in cold water, then transfer to the saucepan with the Fable XO and mix through. Portion the noodles into bowls and top with more XO Fable. Garnish with coriander and spring onion and drizzle with a bit of a chilli oil, if you like it extra spicey! Serve with lightly steamed Asian greens, like bok choi or pak choi.
Remaining Fable XO can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
Be part of the Fable tribe!
Be the first one to know when we launch new products or host fancy pants parties. Sign up to be a part of our magical world.
Can't wait to share your feedback, or fun flavoured ideas?
Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fable - About us
Terms & Conditions
© Copyright 2021 Fable Food Pty Ltd