Fable Ragu x The Kindness Echoes
Ragu is all about that slow-cook and meaty sauce taking you right back to Nonna’s house on a Sunday afternoon
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 people
Let’s clear the air here, ragu is not bolognese. Though they may both be Italian favourites, ragu is a meat-based sauce with only a dollop of tomato unlike its Neapolitan sister, and slow cooked to perfection. The shredded Fable in this recipe will seal the deal with the way it soaks up the sauce and clings tight to the pasta.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- 250g Fable
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups pasta sauce
- ¼ cup tamari
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup red wine
- 500g pasta noodles
- Freshly chopped coriander and basil (sub for your favourite herbs)
- Vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast
- In a medium pot, boil 1 ½ cups of water with the vegetable stock. Add in Fable meat to help soften and break it down for the ragu sauce. Heat up a larger pot with olive oil and add chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry until the onion is just translucent, not brown.
- With a fork, shred apart the Fable meat in the stock and add the remaining sauce ingredients including the stock into the pot with onion and garlic. Simmer this on a low heat for 30 minutes.
- The sauce will reduce and begin thickening, if too thin, simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Boil pasta noodles and add 1 tsp of salt into the water. Cook until al dente. Put aside ½ cup of the pasta water and add it into the meaty sauce once it has reached a good thickness. Add in the herbs, pepper and vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast.
- Mix in cooked pasta with ragu sauce. To complete the dish, serve with a crusty bread and sprinkle more parmesan to finish.