Fable Buns with BBQ Sauce by Heston Blumenthal
From our friend and the King of Gastronomy himself, Heston Blumenthal, this burger is one for the burger big leagues
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Our Fable meaty mushrooms bring plenty of texture and are packed with umami – but add to it a simple, spicy, smoky, tomato-ey BBQ sauce and you’ve got a brioche bun full of burger heaven.
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 210g passata
- 100g apple cider vinegar
- 120g Demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- ¼ tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp salt
To finish brioche buns:
- Grapeseed oil, for frying
- 320g Fable
- Reserved BBQ sauce
- 4 toasted brioche buns (sub vegan brioche buns)
- To make the BBQ sauce, heat the grapeseed oil in a medium pan over moderate heat. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until softened, approx. 7 minutes. Add the spices and continue to cook for 2 minutes, before adding the passata, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and syrup. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 20 minutes, then transfer the mixture to a blender. Blitz for 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the jug. Pass the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the pulp in the sieve. This sauce stores well covered in the fridge until needed.
- To finish the brioche buns, heat the oil in a pan and lightly fry the Fable over moderate heat until golden and crispy. Add the BBQ sauce and gently reheat. Serve the mixture on toasted brioche buns.
- Top with items of your choice: jalapenos, coleslaw, pickled red cabbage and wild rocket will all work well.
Be part of the Fable tribe!
Be the first one to know when we launch new products or host fancy pants parties. Sign up to be a part of our magical world.
© Copyright 2021 Fable Food Pty Ltd