Bold Flavours your nonna would approve of
Slowly simmered flavour sensation with a good story. Who could say no?
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2-4 hours
Serves: 2 People
The story of our beef Bolognese flavoured mushroom meat starts with a hopeless romantic hippie from Mullumbimby named Ziggy, his date, and a pet cow. Stay with me.
Wanting to impress his new non-vege eating queen, Ziggy consulted Frank – his beloved pet cow – on what to cook. Frank, always sprouting pearlers of wisdom while chewing on strands of ryegrass, reminded him of the fact everyone who eats meat, can’t get past a spag bol. Not one to support the chowing down on his mates, Frank also reminded him of the endless mushroom varieties in the field nearby, which to no surprise, Ziggy was familiar with a few of them, and the fact these sneaky vegetables can easily be made to into the Bolognese he seeks.
Frank also informed Ziggy of the magical sides of the mycelium varieties that he’d not yet consumed – their incredible nutrition, the power to cure disease, restore gut flora, balance ecosystems, and not to mention, the ability to taste like beef Bolognese. Ziggy then began tirelessly combing non-hallucinogenic mushies, herbs, and other Italian flavours, until he reached another high – peak plant-based meat enlightenment.
And his queen? Well, let’s just say she reached a peak of her own. Frank? Well, he got a job on our advisory board.
And the moral of the story? Good food is the conduit to a successful relationship, and cows like Frank should most definitely be seen and herd.
Fable. Good Story x
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250g Fable pieces thawed, and diced into 5-7mm pieces
- 2 medium onions diced
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large 750g jar passata OR 2 400g tins of diced italian tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Spaghetti, Fettucini or Linguini of your choice
Parmesan and fresh basil for garnish
- Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed pot over highest heat, brown the Fable pieces for 3-5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside
- In the same pot place all the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until softened and browned and beginning to stick on the bottom.
- Add vinegar and sugar and retain at medium heat until liquid is mostly evaporated (about 5 minutes).
- When vinegar is mostly evaporated, add tomato, basil and oregano reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours stirring every 10 minutes to keep the sauce from sticking and burning on the bottom of the pan.
- When the sauce has developed a darker color and richer taste, remove the lid, add salt and pepper to your taste and then stir in the fable
- Reheat over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- In a seperate pot bring water to boil and cook your choice of pasta – al dente.
- Serve your fable bolognese (from heaven) on top of your freshly cooked pasta. Grate parmesan on top and garnish with fresh basil.
Remaining Fable Bolognese can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Join our newsletter and be the first to know when we announce retail-partners, new product launches and be first on the list, when we host fancy pants parties.
Be part of the Fable tribe!
Be the first one to know when we launch new products or host fancy pants parties. Sign up to be a part of our magical world.
© Copyright 2021 Fable Food Pty Ltd