Slowly simmered flavour sensation with a good story. Who could say no?
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Mamma mia! This Fable Bolognese recipe is exploding with so much meatyness goodness and flavour, that even Nonna can’t say no.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250g Fable pieces, diced into 5-7mm pieces
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 750g passata or 800g diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 ½ tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Your choice of grated cheese, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed pot over highest heat, brown the Fable pieces for 3-5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pot put all onion and garlic and cook over medium heat 5-8 minutes until softened and browned. Add vinegar and sugar and retain medium heat until liquid mostly evaporated about 5 minutes.
- When the vinegar is mostly evaporated, add tomato, basil and oregano reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours stirring every 10 minutes to keep the sauce from sticking and burning on the bottom of the pan.
- When the sauce has developed a darker color and richer taste, remove the lid, add salt and pepper to your taste and then stir in the Fable.
- Reheat over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. In a separate pot bring water to a boil and cook your pasta until al dente. Serve your Fable Bolognese on top of your freshly cooked pasta and finish off with your choice of cheese.
Remaining Fable Bolognese can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.