Fable Aubergine Pasta by Heston Blumenthal
Friend of Fable, Heston Blumenthal, presents a bit of Mediterranean magic in this quick and simple pasta dish.
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g aubergines (eggplant), diced into 0.5cm chunks
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Pinch of salt
- 400g chopped tomatoes, seeds removed
- 250g Fable
- 300g vegetable stock
- 35g white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 100g parmesan cheese, grated (sub vegan if preferred)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small handful fresh parsley
- 4 portions cooked pasta, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook it until it just starts caramelising. Add the eggplant and continue to cook until the eggplant turns golden, stirring regularly. Adding a pinch of salt to the mixture will assist the eggplant to release their moisture.
Add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes and cook the mixture for 5 minutes, then add the pieces of Fable and the vegetable stock. Stir well to combine and leave to simmer until you are left with a thick sauce consistency, this will take approx. 10-15 minutes.
Just before serving, stir through the vinegar, soy sauce and Parmesan. Spoon the sauce over (or mix it into cooked, drained pasta. Finely chop the parsley and garnish the dish with it.