6-8 bao buns (available pre-made in various sizes at most Asian grocery stores).
Sweet and sticky Fable Bao filling
- 250g Fable
- 1 nugget of ginger (size of two thumbs), sliced into match sticks
- 2 tsp Chinese Five Spice2 tbsp King Brand Vegetarian Mushroom Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce/ ketchup
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp Xiao Xing Chinese cooking wine
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil
Carrot and Daikon Pickles
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 50g daikon, julienned
- 200ml white vinegar
- 200ml of warm water
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Spring onion, sliced into thin strips
- Coriander leaves
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh chili, sliced
- Combine all ingredients for carrot and daikon pickles into a bowl and set aside. When ready to assemble buns, remove pickles from liquid.
- Excluding Fable, honey and oil, combine all other ingredients for the sweet and sticky filling in a jug or bowl. Mix well to incorporate.
- Heat oil in pan and add Fable when hot. Fry until Fable starts to brown – around 5 minutes, using a wooden spoon, press down and agitate Fable into smaller parts.
- Add bao filling sauce mixture to the pan with Fable, stirring to coat Fable evenly. Cook for 3 minutes and then stir honey through the mixture and continue until sauce thickens and caramelises, another 3-5 minutes.
- Heat bao buns according to packet instructions.
- Once warmed, assemble bao by first adding sweet and sticky Fable filling and then carrot and daikon pickles. Garnish with spring onion, coriander, fresh chilli and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Join our newsletter and be the first to know when we announce retail-partners, new product launches and be first on the list, when we host fancy pants parties.