Cheese steaks are a Philadelphia tradition. This delicious version is 100% guilt-free with Fable plant based beef and your choice of vegan cheese. All it needs is a cold beer on the side.
.4 long sandwich rolls, soft or chewy crust, hot dog rolls or turkish rolls work well, cut in half lengthwise and toasted on the inside
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 yellow or brown onion julienned
- 200-250g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper julienned
- 250g Fable, chunks cut into halves or thirds
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Sauces and toppings:
- Vegenaise (or mayo if you prefer)
- Cheese spread, this is not optional but vegan cheese spreads are not ubiquitous, so you may need to make your favorite one. If you’re looking for a vegan spread – check out our “not cho cheese” sauce in the Fable Nachos recipe.
- Swiss cheese, or your favorite melty vegan version, again this is also not optional
- Heat a heavy skillet over high flame and add ½ the olive oil
- Saute onions, mushrooms and bell pepper until caramelized, about 5 minutes remove from pan
- Heat olive oil in skillet still on high flame
- Add Fable and saute while stirring for another 5 minutes, being sure to continuously scrape the bottom of the pan to catch the bits that stick
- When Fable is evenly caramelized return the onion and pepper back to the skillet, combining all and season to taste, turn off the flame
- Lay the melty swiss cheese or alternate over the surface, make sure covered completely
- While the cheese in the mix melts, add veganaise to one side of the toasted sandwich roll
- Add cheese spread to the other side of the toasted roll
- Add the filling to the rolls, cut in half and enjoy
Join our newsletter and be the first to know when we announce retail-partners, new product launches and be first on the list, when we host fancy pants parties.