Fable Nachos with ‘Not-cho’ Cheese Sauce
Who doesn’t like diving into a tray of hot cheesy nachos? Delicious, fool-proof and a crowd pleaser.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes + 2 hours soaking cashews for the cheese sauce beforehand
Cook time: 2-3 hours (or longer)
We’ve even thrown in our ‘not-cho’ cheese sauce recipe – essential creamy goodness to please everyone, including your dairy die-hards.
- 2 bags of corn tortilla chips
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 tub of sour cream of choice
Fable Nacho ‘Meat’
- 250g Fable pieces pulled apart into smaller pieces
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin beans, drained (kidney beans, black beans or cannellini beans)
- ¼ cup Chipotle sauce (reduce if you want less spicy)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
‘Not’-cho Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked at least 2hrs in room temperature water
- ½ brown onion, diced
- ½ large carrot, peeled diced
- ½ potato, peeled diced
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Nuttelex or preferred choice butter
- Salt to taste
- Optional: ¼ cup roasted red capsicum, diced
Pico de gallo
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapenos, diced
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Splash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak cashews for at least 2 hours in room temperature water
- Prepare Fable Nacho ‘meat’. Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottom pot and fry Fable until browned for 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic, for a further a few minutes until fragrant and caramelised.
- Add tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, chipotle sauce and spices and stir to evenly combine.
- Add beans and simmer at low heat for 20-30 minutes until excess liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime, prepare the ‘not-cho’ cheese sauce by boiling diced onion, potato and carrot in 500ml of water in a saucepan for 30 minutes.
- Strain onion, potato and carrot and reserve the liquid.
- In a blender, add the cooked onion, carrot and remaining ‘not-cho’ cheese ingredients into a with ¼ of the reserved liquid.
- Puree in high speed adding the liquid slowly until desired consistency is achieved
- Add Nuttelex and puree to combine
- Optional: after blending, mix through the roasted diced red capsicum
- Season cheese sauce with salt to taste
- Prepare Pico de gallo by combining all ingredients
- With all nacho components ready, assemble by filling a large platter with the corn tortilla chips. Evenly distribute some warm Fable Nacho ‘meat’ on top, followed by the ‘not’-cho cheese sauce. Sprinkle on Pico de gallo and finish with diced avocado and dollops of your choice of sour cream.